Physical Education at Benton Dene Primary School
At Benton Dene Primary, we provide a physical education programme of games, gymnastics, swimming, dance and athletics based lessons which are in line with the National Curriculum. This enables each child to develop their movement, skill, balance and co-ordination as well as self confidence in the subject area. The programme provides a progressive plan throughout each year and in subsequent years of a child’s primary education. Each child is given the opportunity to develop their competitive skills by engaging in both inter and intra school competitions. Last year Benton Dene Primary reached the regional finals in football, netball, hockey, skipping, athletics and reached the North of England finals in Tennis.
We currently offer at KS1 and KS2 an extensive extra-curricular sports programme that provides the opportunity for children to further develop their knowledge, understanding and skills in a range of sporting areas. As a school we also look to provide children with the chance to join local clubs and organisations, and have developed sporting links with Percy Park Ruby Club, Wallsend Boys Club, Novocastrians Rugby Club, City of Newcastle Gymnastics Academy, The Falcons Rugby Club and Heaton Harriers Athletics Club. We additionally provide a healthy lifestyle programme which creates a greater awareness of issues such as the need for exercise, health living, tackling obesity and healthy eating.
Our future focus is to further develop the teaching of PE and to continue to deliver a broad and balanced programme, as well as extending the out of hours learning opportunities which will be linked to the wider curriculum in order to enhance learning for all participants. In 2018-19, the Government's Primary PE and Sport Funding will be used to:
- Employ a specialist PE teacher who is also a Specialist Leader of Education (0.5 full time equivalent) & provide specific support for leadership in PE, for curriculum, subject monitoring & development. £17,850
- Provide professional development opportunities in PE/ sport for teachers across the school through North Tyneside PE and Sport SLA £500
- Access competition opportunities through North Tyneside PE and Sport SLA • subsidise travel costs to and from competitions £500
- Specialist gymnastics teaching aimed at up skilling teaching staff as well as preparing children for competition.
- Increase the number and range of lunchtime and after school sports clubs
- Buy quality assured professional development modules and materials for PE/ sport particularly use of ICT, assessment for learning and assessment practices
- Provide Gifted and Talented, curriculum and extra-curricular PE activities.
PE & Sport Achievements at Benton Dene Primary 2017-2018
During the last academic year all of our Key Stage 2 year groups 4 and 6 were winners of their Pyramid schools competitions.
Our Year 6 hockey team took part in the pyramid hockey competition where they reached the final.
Our Year 3 tennis team won the pyramid schools tennis competition, district competition and finished 5th in the North of England finals.
Our Year 4 tennis team won the pyramid schools tennis competition and progressed to the district and Tyne and Wear finals, where they were winners in both competitions.
30 of our Year 2 children took part in the North Tyneside gymnastics festival and performed fantastically well in both apparatus and floor routines.
Our Y4 Skipping Team finished 3rd place in the pyramid competition at the Lakeside Centre and were awarded 1st place in the skip dance.
Wimbledon Championship 2018
A group of our budding Y5 tennis players had the opportunity to visit the Wimbledon tennis championship and watched Roger Federer play on court 1. An amazing experience!